mama's house

mama's house

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Following The Bourbon Trail, One Distillery At A Time #2

Next part of our journey takes me just down the road from the first distillery to Buffalo Trace. It is the oldest non stopped distillery in the United States. Non stopped in that during prohibition it was still manufacturing bourbon for medicinal use which made me laugh out loud when I heard this on the video they showed.  It has also been featured on a tv show called Ghost Hunters. Thanks to the publicity of that show, they now offer ghost tours Thursday-Saturday @ 7:00 p.m. Reservations are required. I am making plans for the family to go on this tour one Saturday soon. Comments from the family have included things about getting drunk first so even if we don't see a ghost it won't matter, to it's scary looking in the daylight hours why go at night?
BUT as it stands now, I have most of the family going with me and of course that will make another post.
While in the gift shop as woman came in and asked it this place use to be a prison. When I told hubby what I had heard he agreed that it could pass for one.
All the black on the buildings is the 'angels' portion' explained in #1. Basically it's the evaporation of the bourbon that leaks from the barrels that they can't prevent for some reason I didn't get.
The visitor center is the building on the left and all those pipes in the air are carrying some form of spirits (the drinking kind not the ghost kind). Noticed the planters? Those are used barrels. Hum maybe next time, I could get one for Sonya Ann to use in her garden. Wonder if she would like the smell...... 
Of course a place with a name like Buffalo Trace would have a buffalo or two. This one had a beautiful garden surrounding it with a tiny waterfall and stream flowing under it. Fitting too in that the Kentucky River is a stone's throw from here. In fact if you look in the photo above, it is where the tree line have a significant difference in height between the buildings.
Best part of this tour, it was free AND the sampling was free too. AND they gave you a sample of quite a few of their products including root beer! 


11 comments:

  1. I'm trying to remember which episode this was, and if there was someone killed around that water. I've watched so many they all tend to run together.

    Ghost tour, huh? RIGHT UP MY ALLEY! Wish I could go with you.

    PS: The "angels" portion... I'm curious about that evaporation showing up "outside" the buildings. Why wouldn't it be more on the "inside" where the bourbon is made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cora, hit the words Ghost Hunters and it will take you to the link of that episode. As for the black mold, it is BOTH inside and outside the buildings. Right now, our plans are to go on the 27th. I'll try to get more information about the angels' portion then.

      Delete
  2. Ha Ha It def. looks like a prison.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PAPS, even the first two floor of windows have bars on them!

      Delete
  3. This has been fascinating Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it will get better Rose, especially when I take the sons with me :o)

      Delete
  4. It made me laugh to read about "medicinal use" My grandma used to (apparently) say that seriously - I don't know if she really thought she was kidding anyone but it cracked my dad up every time. I think he knew his mother wasn't much of a drinker, and laughed to hear her making this excuse.

    I've been to many wineries but never a distillery so this was interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny I've been to both and have to say that depending on which one you go to, there are some wild stories out there, even at the wineries. Yes, I have a tendency to find the weirdest places out there ;o)

      Delete
  5. Awesome! And Sonya would SO love a booze smelling barrel! We're going to be getting a tour of a brewery this weekend ourselves. Looking forward to the rootbeer! It is the best in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, you didn't say which root beer! Come on you can't keep that a secret ;o)

      Delete
  6. This was so cool.
    I don't much care for bourbon or rootbeer but it would be a fun thing to do.

    ReplyDelete

Pull up a chair, make yourself at home, and chat with me for a while. Leave a comment or two and I'll get back to you.